Friday, April 24, 2009

Lenticular, Totally Lenticular.

I was quite delighted to observe a few lenticular clouds in their natural habitat yesterday (where else one might observe them is a little difficult to say, come to think of it). I was on my way to California City along Highway 58, and having little else to do was marveling at how quickly the various clouds were changing shape. The most impressive were also the least accessible, billowing up behind Sand Canyon; I didn't have time to drive further in.
This is what you get for trying to shoot lenticular clouds from a pull-out along Highway 58. (The truck wasn't as close as it looks here--I just had the zoom on, trying to catch those distant clouds from the previous pictures.)
Both the clouds and the traffic were better after I left the highway. Would you believe that sometimes these clouds are reported as flying saucers? I wonder where people get ideas like that!
While I was taking these pictures I thought of how much fun it would be to take a series of cloud pictures on a windy day, perhaps one a minute, and string them all together in a video. The shapes change so rapidly that it would be a neat effect, I think. However, it was one of those "promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep" sort of days, so that is a project that will have to wait.

No comments: