Wednesday, June 10, 2020

A Mighty Good Song

This is something I've been meaning to post for ages; the only reason I never did was I felt somehow obliged to say more about it. And this mostly because it features four musical factors I like very much. Iarla Ó Lionáird rather goes without saying, but we have here, too, a tune that can be played as an Irish-style polka, ditto a tune that has an obvious tie to an entirely different version of itself, and words that are so nonsensical that they toe the line of pure puirt a beal.

(As for the different version of this tune, I wouldn't put it past you to catch it after a line or two, but  it took Mr. Ó Lionáird actually slipping in a "Heilan' Laddie" to make me realize that part of the reason the tune sounded so. . .comfortable was I'd actually heard it many a time before.)
 
There's really no need for further commentary, other than if you Google "Tá Dhá Ghabhairín Bhuí Agam" you can find translations for some similar versions of these words. I doubt a word for word translation would make any better sense of it; I don't doubt that it's a kick and a half to listen to. And Steve Cooney is having too much fun wringing every last drop of music from that guitar.


No comments: