Friday, April 17, 2020

The Galway Shawl

I have no idea why I find "The Galway Shawl" so endearing. It's really not much of a narrative, but it's sweet and simple, and does the heart good. 

I've actually been using the tune with my beginning fiddle students, as it has repeatedly proved itself easy and enjoyable for them to memorize. (And I don't get tired of listening to it.) One of them recently asked me to recommend a sung version. I couldn't for the life of me tell her, or you, where I originally got the spare, simple setting of it that is rolling around in my head; but I was mightily pleased to find this video while trying to answer that question. A nice bit of singing indeed--and I would never have imagined that a solo bouzouki could provide such a full range of accompaniment.

No comments: