Monday, May 25, 2020

Window

In the last five years or so I've acquired a lasting interest in the Punjabi language. I haven't risen to the progress in learning it that I'd hoped for initially, but I've managed to keep picking away at it. At the very least, it's a great reason to listen to Punjabi music, which has some highly likable traditions (and pop tunes, even) from both sides of the India-Pakistan border.

Today's is a quite recent Pakistani one. This song struck me as a sweet one the first time I heard it, but even then, it has grown on me considerably. For starters, while there are plenty of lyrics in existence about the wrongs inflicted on a lover by his beloved, I'm pretty sure there isn't any other which begins with the complaint that she was the cause of spilt tea*. There is a CC button in the lower corner of the video that provides an English translation. If you want the least-video-possible version, you can start with the music at 1:10.

   

*The Urdu (and Hindi) word for tea, chai, is familiar enough to those of us who haunt American coffee houses to make it worth pointing out that here in Punjabi it's cha.

No comments: