Friday, August 14, 2015

Late Notice

UPDATE: Saturday's competition is being streamed by the BBC. I knew that. . .

 Whatever else I do, or mostly don't do, around this blog, I always feel that I should say something about the World Pipe Band Championships broadcasts. Well, I missed giving any heads-ups for today's qualifier round, but you can catch the finalists on Saturday, beginning with the MSR at 02:30 PST and the Medley at 07:15PST on LiveStream. It should be a great contest, if this morning's quality was anything to go by.

And here are samples of the aforesaid quality (the Livestream people very kindly put each set up separately as soon as it is finished being broadcast): "You have fingers like a Canadian piper" should be an international compliment among musicians. (And oh, that air!): The tone here makes me feel the same way that watching the ocean makes me feel. It makes me plain happy to be alive to see and hear something so grand. "Rather beyond my likes and dislikes," as Sam Gamgee said of elves. It's just that good. I am off to work shortly and haven't had any luck in tracking down the video of St. Laurence O' Toole's medley, but if you have a moment, go find it and watch it. It's magnificent.

EDIT See?

No comments: