Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lullaby

I sat down and made a list of (very favourable) things I thought I should say before posting this song, but then I second-guessed that and thought it might be best to let the song stand on its own merits. For those of you, like me, who might have to look up the words, it's sung in the voice of a mountain in Nova Scotia that's seen generations come and go. The title means "The Blue Mountain's Lullaby." The words are by Jeff MacDonald, and the tune by Brian Ó hEadhra, who sings it here.

  Tàladh na Beinne Guirme

 And sort of P.S., except that might imply that it's of secondary importance, which it isn't: if you liked that song, just go browse through Brian Ó hEadhra's Soundcloud page, why dontchya? It's grand.

2 comments:

Mahri said...

Wow. He has such a sweet-with-rough-edges voice, which I like very much. "Tàladh Na Beinne Guirme" is a lovely choice, but I really loved all those Gaelic songs... I have been listening to a lot of Clancy Brothers and Corries lately, but I am now in the mood for a lot more of this sort of thing now. Thanks for that.

Molly said...

Somewhere in the world, there is a CD (sadly out of print) in which tracks of him singing (all in Irish that time around, I think) alternate with tracks of Christine Primrose singing. He did "Tá 'na lá" on that one (entirely a capella, I think) which you can imagine, was eminently likeable.