Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Latest Find

Yesterday's drive to see my piping instructor proved just a little too productive; I was on my way home, my mind sufficiently engaged with proposed improvements for my strathspey,when dusk fell and I started to become aware of the surroundings, including new and different wild lilies. The picture above doesn't capture the light, whispy effect of the flower. Seen in the dusk, they were as ephemeral as wind-combed clouds, the stems seeming more of an afterthought than a necessity.
From the description in Growing California Native Plants, I think this is Chlorogalum pomeridianum (soap plant). If that is correct, perhaps I needn't be so surprised that I only noticed the flowers on my way back from the lesson--according to the Pacific Bulb Society website the delicate, short-lived blossoms only appear in the evening.
And now, about that strathspey. . .

No comments: