Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Terribly Opinionated

Really, now, can you think of any more overused term than "Celtic"? No, no, I don't mean the fuitba' team. Okay, that use still has a certain panache. But "Celtic Twilight," "Celtic Bagpipes," "Celtic Vocalists". . .Awwww, c'mon, just say what you mean. Sure, there's an ancestral connection between the Bretons and the Scots, and a good many other people, but, as my archaeology professor so rightly said, "Use the exact word you need, not one just kind of like it." There is absolutely nothing wrong with good solid words like "Scots" or "Breton." Just stop with the whole Celtic mystique already, will you? (No, I don't mean you, dear reader. I mean the horrible fellow hidden in the mists of Celtic Marketing who has evidently built a successful career around the overuse of a single word.)

And what brought on the present rampage? I saw "Celtic Cheese" for sale at Trader Joe's yesterday. You think I'm going to buy it just because it brings to mind a very nebulous picture of some of my ancestry? It may be delicious, for all I know, but I shall stick with the clarity of Dublin Cheddar, thanks very much.

Madness. . .Madness!

No comments: