Tuesday, August 11, 2009

And speaking of. . .

Well, boys and girls (those of you on the West Coast), if you were hoping to have an excuse for getting up at 1 AM this coming Saturday, here it is: The World Pipe Band Championships begin at 9:00 in Scotland. As I mentioned a while back, this will be the first year that BBC is streaming the Grade 1 competition world-wide. Some folks, who know more about these things than I do, have suggested that it mightn't be the smoothest stream ever, what with it being the first essay into worldwide distribution, but the proof is in the puddin'.

Like as not, if it's the sort of thing you're at all inclined to take a look at, you already know about it, and you already have some idea of which band/s you're rooting for. . .but if not, may I suggest the cream of the crop? Yes, I'm prejudiced, and yes, they are as good as it gets! No less am I rooting for the rapidly up-and-coming Triumph Street in their first World's competition since their return to Grade 1.

Least you think all my interest is with Vancouver-based bands. . .well, it is, mostly. But my other favourites at the moment are Boghall & Bathgate Caledonia (Scotland) and St. Laurence O' Toole (Ireland), both inclined to very musical medleys.

No comments: