Sunday, May 24, 2009

Oh, What to Say?

I played a couple of tunes on the pipes this evening at a barbecue, and had a conversation afterwards that got me thinking a bit. Now, if you play the violin nicely, or the piano, or the flute, or better, the harp, you have people come up and say to you, "I just love your music! Will you play at my wedding?" Well, if you play the pipes (as nicely as you can) you have people come up and say to you, "I just love that. Will you play at my funeral?" Of course, I always try to be obliging, and I do quite like the idea of being able to do my bit at a funeral, but the proper answer requires a bit of proper reflection. Because no matter how well-meaning one is, it can't possibly sound right to say, "I'd love to!"

(Luckily, I yet again escaped the foot which was heading for my mouth, and managed to say, "If you'd like. But don't be in any hurry.")

No comments: