Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Useful Tool

It is a very cold and windy Sunday afternoon (snow was attempted this morning) so I am more than happy to stick around the house and try a few projects that have been long neglected. One of these was transcribing a reel I liked off a CD. . .well, transcribing is a large exaggeration for what I am doing with it. Luckily, I already have the sheet music; I am just trying to resolve the few, but effective, differences between what I am reading and what I am hearing. Also luckily, Windows Media Player has a feature that allows you to slow down a sound file without changing its pitch. The tone suffers something awful (I'll say up front that listening to a bagpipe like this is quite conducive to nausea) but the notes are true.

If anybody else is in a transcribing mood, here's the way you bring up the play speed monitor:

If you click on the picture, it should get a bit bigger, but in plain prose, the instructions are:

-Open the "Now Playing" screen

-Click the arrow below "Now Playing" to bring up the drop-down menu for that screen

-Click on "Enhancements"

-Click on "Play Speed Settings".

-A gauge should appear in the lower left corner of the screen--set it as far left as you can, and the music slows down.

No, it doesn't sound nice. I never said it sounded nice.

No comments: