Saturday, February 28, 2009

Well, whaddya know?

There is an excellent possibility that I am passing along very old news here, after all, the Bluetooth has now been an accepted feature of everyday life for several very long centuries. . .but when I first heard rumors about it, my reaction was, "Why would they name an ear-phone after a Viking?" Then I went away and forgot about the whole matter except for those rare occasions in the grocery store when I answered strangers' hellos and then realized that they weren't talking to me but to somebody in Albuqurque. I don't know what it was I was reading lately, but I was quite floored to discover--of all random things, they did name it after a Viking! Or after a Danish king of the Viking era, anyway. There's a little paragraph in the lower right-hand of the page here that gives it to you from the horse's mouth, as it were. And here is the Wikipedia page on the original Harald Bluetooth. (Why didn't they call the phone Harald? Then when it rang, you could say, "Hark! the Harald!")

No comments: