Monday, January 26, 2009

Winter Color

The rains in December encouraged early grass; the foothills are mostly green now, however it is still a bit soon to be expecting wildflowers, so any bit of color is a welcome surprise. I was driving home from Bakersfield yesterday and noticed some yellow bushes growing in along the side of 58. They were most prolific just east of General Beale Road but there were still a scattered few as far as the Arvin exit where I stopped and snapped these pictures.

I am having no luck so far in identifying the plant.

But it is a pretty thing, eh?

A good many of last year's seed pods were still attached.

I have my spare-time activity cut out for tomorrow; it's time to give the native plants book some serious study.
The obligatory Bug, of course, tucked in the flower in the foreground. I didn't notice it when I was taking the picture originally, so I shall rest content with identifying it as a Small Dark Beetle.

No comments: