Saturday, October 4, 2008

If you like bagpipe music, there is a lovely monthly radio program at The College of Piping Radio. September's program included a few highlights from this year's World Pipe Band Championships. This is a bit of a kick because this year SFU won their 5th world championship. The program--I don't know how much longer September's will stay up, but as of this evening, it is still there--includes an interview with Terry Lee, SFU's pipe major.

Getting away from the band aspect of piping, the show also included a lovely piece performed by Margaret Stewart and Allan MacDonald. They have recorded some wonderful combinations of traditional Gaelic singing and pipe tunes; in this case, the singer presents a Gaelic hymn and the piper weaves a piobaireachd variation into it. I read a short article the other day (the one I give the link to, I believe) which stated that Mr. MacDonald's Master's thesis explored the ties between the Gaelic language and piobaireachd; if that doesn't sound like a thoroughly absorbing scholarly work, I don't know what does. (But I am admittedly prejudiced!)

No comments: