Sunday, July 13, 2008

Jellyfish! Live!

I've been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to decide on an original statement to start this entry. Perhaps the direct approach is best: I like jellyfish. My friend Cheyanne and I went over to the coast last week and (among other things) had a good look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's a fascinating place, with tanks focusing on sea life from various depths of California coastal waters, everything from kelp forests to tide pools to hammer-head sharks. Theoretically, it was heaven for anyone who likes to dabble in nature photography. . .but in practice, the glass of the tanks is rather interferesome. I rest content, however, because when my camera finally condescended to focus, it was in the jellyfish exhibit, which was what I most wanted to photograph anyway.

The animal below is, I believe, called a moon jelly:



And here are some spotted jellies. They are a South Pacific species. The brown tint is due to a type of algae which the spotted jellies cultivate on themselves and use to enhance their diet.



Spotted jellies up close:



Most of the jellyfish we saw seemed to be slowly tumbling through the water, with little regard for up or down, but the species below (aptly called an upside-down jelly) has a definite preference for the position in the picture. In fact, the jellies have a sort of suction cup on top (if top it is) that enables them to anchor on a stationary object.



The Mediterranean jelly moves like a slow-motion cascade of confetti:

No comments: