Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lepidoptera Galore


I was walking out to clean my car Friday night when I came across this beauty which had come to the porch light. It's a White-lined Sphinx, a relative of the Pacific Green Sphinx I posted a few weeks back. This is a pretty big moth too; the picture as it appears here may be a hair larger than life-sized, but it is close.


In last week's butterfly department, on the other hand, I was to delighted when I noticed that there were a good many Painted Ladies (Vanessa cardui) out and about. These tough little butterflies are often hatched in Sonora, Mexico, but fly north as the weather gets warmer. The offspring of those that fly through here en route to the northern San Joaquin may migrate as far as British Columbia. Of course, I wanted to get my own picture of one, but the main part of the migration took place during the working hours of working days. I did toy with the idea of trying to lure a few down into the yard at the shop so I Googled "attracting butterflies". The resulting sites suggested that I plant a butterfly garden. I still have not taken a picture of a Painted Lady.

No comments: