Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Square Knot, Part 1



I did just say that I liked the idea of "knots." To be more truthful, as far as the macrame business goes, I have only used the square knot and the half hitch. Here is the square knot for anyone else who would like to try it. I'll have to split the post into two parts because I can only post a limited number of pictures at a time.
I've used different colors of yarn so hopefully the important over/under bits will show clearly.

1. It is easiest to tie these sorts of knots when the filler cords (the red ones in the picture below) are anchored firmly. I clipped the top and bottom of the filler cords to the back of a notebook. The top of the knotting cords (the blue and white pieces of yarn) are also clipped to the top of the notebook.




2. Bring the blue cord under the filler cords and over the white cord.



3. Bring the white cord under the blue cord, over the filling cords, and under the blue cord.



4. Pull it tight. This is only half of the square knot, so it won't stay very tight on its own.

No comments: