Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Indian Paintbrush


This afternoon I had the time to do something I had been wanting to do for weeks--drive down and get a few pictures of the Indian Paintbrush. For some reason these flowers don't grow near our house (that I've ever seen) but along the cuts on Banducci Road they are having a pretty good year. It was a "mostly cloudy" day so the coloring in the pictures is not everything it should be.
I'm not sure of the scientific name for these; I know it's in the Castilleja family, but the species is a bit harder to pinpoint. Judging from the pictures in one of my flower books it's at least a close relative of Castilleja chromosa, the Desert Paintbrush. Another of its relatives, Castilleja linariaefolia, is the State Flower of Wyoming. You might not expect that a state flower would be hard to choose, but evidently there was a bit of dissent when it came to chosing one for Wyoming:


No comments: