Saturday, May 26, 2007

Maybe more to the point. . .

My intention is to have some variety on this blog--honest, it isn't supposed to be all pictures of bugs! Here's a compromise: a picture of a bug (a true bug--family Hemiptera) looking at the music for "Crossing the Minch". The bug looks as puzzled as I did to see the ornamentation on the B. ("Somebody expects me to play all those notes?")
"Crossing the Minch" is yet another tune by Pipe Major Donald MacLeod. He wrote some tunes which are now classics in the pipe band world and he was also an authority on piobaireachd. There is a tiny article on him here:

http://www.footstompin.com/artists/pm_donald_macleod

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Molly - I *like* this picture! I think it a very clever arrangement, and the wee bug is verra attractive!

(I like the first-hand account of the piper and the bugs. I've had similar experiences at the sunset at the lake gig here!)

Molly said...

Do you have any idea of what that grip-ish thing is called? I've never seen one before, to the best of my ken.

Anonymous said...

Librarian to the rescue! I think that very intimidating looking embellishment is a heavy strike to d. At least, that is what it looks to be according to the diagram here: http://www.answers.com/topic/embellishment4-gif

I don't think I've ever seen one before either, though I have heard them played.

Molly said...

Whoa! Thanks for that! I do think they mislabeled that as the thing goes to C, but it could certainly be done on D, or on B, as in "Crossing the Minch". It's good to have a name for the thing. (Now I must learn to play it.)